Child Support Amounts Will Vary

Child support negotiations can be a contentious and stressful part of the divorce process. Generally speaking, a divorced parent has the obligation to support their children until they are 18, providing monthly financial payments to the custodial parent if necessary. The obligations can go longer, particularly if they need to pay for undergraduate or vocational school.

At Mastri Law LLC, I help parents accurately determine how much child support a parent should pay. As an attorney with experience in family law and child support, I can help ensure there is full disclosure on the part of a spouse. I can also represent you in such discretionary areas as school tuition, expenses for enriching activities and other special costs.

Considerations Determining Child Support

Pennsylvania adheres to a straightforward equation of determining child support based on the number of children and the joint income of the parents. But there are factors the courts will consider in determining the amount. Commonly asked questions include:

  • Unusual needs or fixed obligations of the child
  • Income and other expenses of the parent
  • Medical expenses insurance doesn't cover
  • Standard of living
  • Best interests of the children

The State Enforces Support Payments

As mandated by the federal government's Child Support Enforcement Amendments of 1984, states must enforce child support arrangements. The state will do this by:

  • Requiring employers to withhold child support payments from paychecks.
  • Imposing property liens against parents who are delinquent in their payments.
  • Deducting unpaid support obligations from federal and state tax refunds.

A parent here in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre who struggles to make payments can request a modification of the existing child support order. As financial circumstances change for the better, child support payments can be modified to reflect this too. It is also worth noting that the caregiver in Pennsylvania can request payment from a parent even if they do not have official custody of the children.

Need A lawyer? Contact Me About Your Child Support Rights.

I can be reached via email or you can call me at 570-904-8272.