Hard-Working, Knowledgeable, Effective
We offer individualized guidance and responsive service at an affordable price.

Child Support Amounts Will Vary

Child support negotiations can be a contentious and stressful process. Generally speaking, a divorced parent has the obligation to support their children until they are 18, providing monthly financial payments to the custodial parent if necessary. The obligations can go longer, particularly if they need to pay for undergraduate or vocational school.

At Mastri Law LLC, we help parents accurately determine how much child support a parent should pay. The experienced staff at Mastri Law can help ensure there is full disclosure on the part of a spouse. We can also represent you in such discretionary areas such as school tuition, medical expenses, enriching activities, and other special costs.

Considerations Determining Child Support

Pennsylvania adheres to a straightforward equation of determining child support based on the number of children and the joint income of the parents. But there are factors the courts will consider in determining the amount. Commonly asked questions include:

  • Unusual needs or fixed obligations of the child
  • Income and other expenses of the parent
  • Medical expenses insurance doesn’t cover
  • Standard of living
  • Best interests of the children

The State Enforces Support Payments

As mandated by the federal government’s Child Support Enforcement Amendments of 1984, states must enforce child support arrangements. The state will do this by:

  • Requiring employers to withhold child support payments from paychecks.
  • Imposing property liens against parents who are delinquent in their payments.
  • Deducting unpaid support obligations from federal and state tax refunds.

Parents in Northeastern Pennsylvania who struggle to make payments can hire Mastri Law LLC to help request a modification of the existing child support order. As financial circumstances change for the better, child support payments can be modified to reflect this, too. It is also worth noting that a caregiver in Pennsylvania can request payment from a parent even if they do not have official custody of the children. If you have questions about support, Mastri Law is “The One To Call!”

Need A lawyer? Contact Us About Your Child Support Rights.

At Mastri Law LLC, we are committed to helping achieve your family law goals. We pride ourselves on our ability to provide thorough and timely answers to all your legal questions.

To schedule a free initial consultation, just call 570-343-1111 or send us an email. Our office is in Scranton, Pennsylvania in the historic Scranton Life Building.

Practice Areas

Set Up Your Free Initial Consultation


Mastri Law LLC

538 Spruce Street
Suite 402
Scranton, PA 18503

Phone: 570-343-1111
Fax: 570-504-8361